Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shiny, Happy Stories


OK. I've always said that I write for my students.
But Friday they threw me a curve ball.

Several ninth graders in 5th and 7th period told me they want more shiny, happy stories--where no one gets shot, eaten, exploded, and all animals featured in the story live happily ever after...including cats. Which is difficult for a language arts teacher whose definition of "fervent" is when your cat gets stuck in the heating duct. (That would be "fur vent" for those of you auditory to visual learners.)

So I accept the challenge. But only for a short story. Maybe something featuring Teletubbies or Barney. OR Teletubbies VS. Barney in an all out ninja war. No, no. that's not shiny, happy.

This will take some work.

Until I get a better one, I'll submit "Fishing for Corn" which they will see in January anyway.

And while that's stewing, I'll get back to the story referenced below containing grenade launchers and such.

See ya soon.

No comments: